Bundy, Berdella, Bishop, Bonin, Chase, Corll, Dzhumaglaliev, Eyler, Glattman.


"The Butcher of Kansas City"

Right about the time that Dahmer was busy in Milwaukee, Kansas City had a problem of it's own, although many were probably unaware of it. This was another case of homosexual killings, and it didn't really effect the majority of the city's residents.

Robert Berdella, a popular store owner of odd's and end's, and a "throwback to the hippie age", sadistically tortured, photographed, and killed six young men over the course of four years.

In every case he picked up a young man, brought him home to "party", and when the opportunity arose, he would overpower and then drug his victim. Once the victim was weakened, he would then begin a vicious game of torture and domination rarely seen in the world of true crime.

Over the course of sometimes weeks, he would keep the victim drugged, bound and gagged, tied to a bed with piano wire, where he would repeatedly rape and punish the victim. To go one further, he would periodically take photographs, showing a twisted progression of events, while also logging in his "torture book" exactly what he did, with how much of a particular drug.

What was incredible about the whole case was that the "everyday" Berdella managed to be completely seperated from this side of his life and managed to continue as if nothing was going on.

He went on uninterrupted with his business, "Bob's Bizarre Bazarr", a place where people could find weird, exotic artifacts from all over the world, mainly dealing with magic or spirituality.

He also managed to keep this torture game secret from his neighbors. Berdella lived in a modest home in a middle-class area, surrounded by other families. There weren't big yards seperating the homes, everyone was close by. Yet over these four years of torture and death, no one ever heard or saw anything strange.

That is, until the day of April 1st of 1988, when neighbors reported a young man walking around naked, obviously dazed and confused. When police arrived, they took the man in and were told of this house where he was held captive for a few days by someone named "Bob".

The man, Christopher Bryson, told police that he was picked up by "Bob" in a desolate area of Kansas City days before. A hustler, Bryson figured he was in for a little private party, so he was all for Berdella's games. He even allowed Berdella to tie him onto the bed like an animal.

Once tied, Bryson told police that Berdella immediately changed, telling Bryson that he was nothing but a toy to play with. When Bryson demanded that Berdella let him go, Berdella stated that Bryson should shut up or he would end up like the others out in the backyard.

After four days of repeated rape and torture, Bryson managed to escape out a second story window when Berdella made the mistake of leaving the house for a few hours, failing to make sure Bryson was secure.

When police went over to the area with Bryson, it wasn't hard for him to pick out the house he was in. The owner, Berdella, was immediately arrested and police proceeded to check out the home top to bottom.

Inside was a complete mess, with floor to ceiling collections of odd artifacts Berdella accumulated over the years. Among the items were skulls, occult material, and what appeared to be staged photos of young men in different stages of torture.

Police knew right off the bat what they had, and proceeded out to the backyard, remembering what Bryson said his captor stated days before.

Out back, officers dug up six human skulls, but they couldn't find any bodies.

After intense police interrogation Berdella eventually confessed to six murders, later identified as: Howell, Larry Pearson, Robert Sheldon, Walter Ferris, Mark Wallace, and Todd Stoops.

The authorities easily identified all the victims since police discovered the photographs at the house. Each was explicitly showed the victims with hyperdermic needles imbedded in their skin, tied with wire to the bed, beaten and gagged.

One victim, Stoops, was photographed as he was shocked with 7000 volts of electricity sent through his body with a contraption Berdella proudly thought up.

Berdella further confessed that he was able to dispose of the bodies by cutting them up and putting the pieces in trash bags for the city sanitation to pick up.

With all the evidence they needed, Berdella was convicted of all six murders, along with a slew of other charges.

However, because of a slight mistake the authorities made regarding the death penalty, and failure to notify the defendant, Berdella was able to garner a six term life sentence for his torturous hobby, where he sits today .



The decade of the 1980's proved to be a rampant one for serial killers, and it wasn't more evident than the Arthur Gary Bishop case.

When all was said and done, even devout Mormons in Utah weren't free of the rash of serial killings sweeping the United States.

Raised as a worshipping Mormon in Salt Lake City. Bishop also went on his "mission" in the Philippines when he graduated high school. In addition to this, he was also an Eagle Scout and honor student.

When he returned from his trek, Bishop graduated college with honors, earning a degree in accounting, and seemed to be on his way to a long and respectable life as a functional Mormon in his community.

However, everybody who knew him were shocked to find out that he was convicted in February of 1978 for embezzling over $8000 from a used car dealership.

He pled guilty, and promised to pay restitution, and for this, he was given a five-year suspended sentence.

Once given the chance, he bolted out of sight and a warrant was issued. Since he didn't give himself up, even after requests to do so from his church, he was excommunicated.

By the time all of this happened, he was going by the alias "Roger Downs" in Salt Lake City, doing admirable things like joining the Big Brother Program, spending time with children who were disadvantaged.

In October of 1979, four-year-old Alonzo Daniels disappeared from his apartment. "Roger Downs" was questioned by the authorities investigating, since he lived just across the hall. But they had no leads, no body, and no tips.

About a year later, 11-year-old Kim Peterson also disappeared when he went out to sell a pair of skates. The police were told that the buyer was supposed to be a male adult, but no one knew anything else, so police were still stuck without a clue.

Almost a year later, in October of 1981, four-year-old Danny Davis vanished from a busy supermarket, just a half-block from the "Downs" residence. Again, he was questioned because of the proximaty to the market, but with no reason to, the police didn't suspect a thing.

Laying low for a year and a half, Bishop struck again, abducting Troy Ward on his sixth birthday in June of 1983.

About a month later, 13 year-old Graeme Cunningham also vanished just before he was supposed to go on a camping trip with another boy, and an adult male chaperone, 32-year-old "Roger Downs".

Now the authorities took notice, and began to look into the past of this adult who seemed to always be around children.

What they found was that this "Downs" character was wanted for embezzling $10,000 from an ex-boss, while using the alias "Lynn Jones."

With enough to arrest him, they brought him in and began to question him about the disappearence of the Cunningham boy.

To their shock, Bishop began to confess to everything, even unveiling his true identity and telling them of the five boys he killed.

To prove that he was telling the truth, Bishop took the officers out the next morning to the Cedar Fort section of Utah and produced three corpses from graves that he dug. They were three of the young boys the police were looking for.

After another short drive south, he then showed detectives where he buried the bodies of the other two boys.

This wasn't the end. Upon further questioning, police revealed that Bishop had sexually molested scores of other young boys in the Salt Lake area.

Incredibly enough, authorities also revealed that in the four year run of Bishop's, there were even parents who were aware of his activities, but for one reason or another, they didn't report any of it, perhaps because of his promising, respectable Mormon facade.

In a taped confession, Bishop told how he murdered the boys, and even fondled them after their deaths, giggling at times and stating that he was glad to be caught, since he would do it again and again.

With this, he was found guilty, and sentenced to death. Waiving all appeals, Bishop was executed by lethal injection in June, 1988.

Look at "Hunting Humans", as well as "Human Monsters", both good "encyclopedia's" on serial murder.




As stated before in the profile of Randy Kraft, the highways of California were the worst place to be if you were a hitchhiker and a young male in the 1970's.

Between the years of 1972 and 1980 or so, no less than 44 young men were killed over seven counties. At first, authorities thought that there was one person at work, but they soon realized this wasn't the case when Patrick Kearney was caught in 1977 and the killings continued.

Arrested in 1974 for abducting and raping a 14 year old boy, Bonin was sentenced to one to fifteen years in prison. By 1978, Bonin, now 29, was set free, and this time he was going to make sure he wasn't going to leave anyone alive to identify him from now on.

In May of 1978, Bonin killed his first victim, 14 year old Thomas Lundgren, who was abducted near Reseda. In August, Bonin struck again, killing Mark Shelton, 17, reported missing from Westminster. The day after his appearance, 17 year old Marcus Grabs was abducted in Newport Beach. By the end of the day police discovered yet another young victim, 15 year old Donald Hyden, who disappeared from Hollywood.

Bonin was now confident and killing at a rapid pace. Just a week after the Hyden abduction, he murdered 17 year old David Murillo, who was from La Mirada, and by the end of 1979, four more young men were identified as the victims of this "new" highway killer. All the bodies were sexually assaulted and strangled, dumped off the sides of highways and back roads.

Bonin didn't wait long to strike in 1980, killing 16 year old Michael McDonald on New Years Day, followed by Charles Miranda, a 14 year old from Los Angeles on February 3rd.

Two days later Bonin was out again, snatching 12 year old James McCabe in Huntington Beach, his body found the next day in a nearby campground.

In March of 1980, 18 year old Ronald Gatlin disappeared in Van Nuys, while 15 year old Russell Pugh and 14 year old Glen Barker were reported missing from Huntington Beach on the 21st. Their bodies also found in the same campground as McCabe.

With authorities busy trying to find the man responsible for scores of dead boys, Bonin didn't even begin to slow down.

Just three days later, police found the body of a recently reported missing teen, Harry Turner, 15, uncovered in L.A.

In the month of April, Bonin abducted 16 year old Steven Wood, and amazingly enough, turned right around and then snatched 18 year old Lawrence Sharp just hours later.

Over the next two months, Bonin was on a tear. He kept up his pace and managed to kill three more young hitchhikers, all between the ages of 14-19.

Police finally got their break when an 18 year old came forward and admitted he knew the identity of the "Freeway Killer".

He named 32 year old William Bonin, a Vietnam veteran with priors such as kidnapping, molestation, and sodomy. As a matter of fact, police were astonished to read about Bonin's record, dating back to 1968.

In 1969, he was committed to Atascadero State Hospital as a menatlly disordered sex offender. He was released in 1974, when he was diagnosed as "no longer a threat to society."

Shortly thereafter he was caught abducting the young boy mentioned earlier, leading to his incarceration until 1978.

With this evidence in their hand, officers set up a round the clock surveillance on Bonin, and were given what they wanted less than a day later.

On June 11th, 1980 police arrested Bonin when they surprised him in his van, sodomising a young man. He was held under suspicion of murder and various other charges.

From there, everything began to fall. Police soon arrested 22 year old Vernon Butts as an accomplice to some of the murders. Once charged, Butts began to tell officers of even more accomplices, 19 year old James Munro, and 19 year old Greg Miley.

Police now knew that there was a "team" of men preying on these victims, helping to explain how so many were killed in such a short time.

The young accomplices were eager to talk to the authorities, telling them of how Bonin had this almost "hypnotic" control over them, drawing them into this world of abduction, rape, and murder.

They told officers how Bonin "loved those sound of screams". The more the young victims were tortured, the better it was for him.

With the huge trial that ensued, testimony was given by all accomplices, except for Vernon Butts, who managed to kill himself in his cell.

After a short deliberation, Bonin was found guilty of ten murders, along with robbery charges thrown in for good measure.

On January 5th, 1982, Bonin was sentenced to death, but it wasn't until February of 1996 that it was finally carried out. He was executed in the gas chamber at San Quentin.

Shortly after his conviction, it was reported that Bonin, talking with a local television reporter, stated that," I just couldn't stop killing. It got easier with each one we did."

It's also interesting to note that while in prison waiting for his date with execution, Bonin passed his time playing Bridge with fellow serial killers Lawrence Bittaker, Randy Kraft, and Sunset Slayer Douglas Clarke. Between them, a death toll of over 100.



"The Killer Next Door"

Where to begin with one of history's most notorious multiple murderers? Certainly one of the most charasmatic convicted murderers in the annals of crime. Certainly one of the most promising citizens to be convicted of such a serious charge as multiple murder.

Ted Bundy. The name itself carries such weight wherever you go. Whether it's with a true crime afficionado or anyone off the street, we've all been exposed to his crimes on television, books, and even in the classroom. Convicted of a handful of murders, rumored to be responsible for up to 100, he denied his guilt until his execution in 1989.

Everything about Bundy seemed so normal compared to other serial killers. An illegitimate child, Bundy grew up in Philadelphia until he was four years old with his mother and grandparents. The only oddity here was that for a while, he was led to believe that his mother was his sister, while his grandparents were his parents.

However, by the time he turned four he was told the truth, and he and his mother moved to Tacoma, Washington where she married a man by the name of John Bundy. As a child, Ted still grew a reputation of a liar and a thief, but all in all he led a normal life for a young child in the 1950's.

It wasn't until he was enrolled in college at the University of Washington that Bundy began acting odd. He quickly began peeping in on unsuspecting co-eds around campus, and on the night of January 4th, 1974, Bundy acted for the first time. On that date, he slipped into the basement apartment of a young woman living near the campus. He immediately pounced on his victim, using a metal rod he pulled from the bed frame to club her repeatedly. He even used the rod to rape her, forcing it into her vagina as far as it could go. The woman survived, but she was left with brain damaged, leaving her unable to identify her assailant.

Soon afterwards, a young college co-ed disappeared, never to be seen again. And by the summer months five more area girls vanished from the Seattle area. By this time Bundy was not sneaking around into random apartments. He began using his good looks and charm to lure his victims into his car. Once inside, he felt comfortable enough to strike. Sometimes, he would even prey on their kindness, posing with a cast on his arm, seemingly in need of help. When the young girl would offer her help, he would get them in a position where he could surprise her.

On July 14th, when two young girls disappeared from a local crowded picnic area, police began suspecting something. And when witnesses began telling of an attractive young man named "Ted" who wore a sling, police acted.

Using the name as a guide, the police gathered a list of some two thousand possible suspects. Bundy was indeed on the list, but he wasn't considered a serious suspect. They just could not believe that this seemingly successful, bright young man could do such things. By the time the authorities discovered decomposing bodies up in the area woods, thus realizing just what they were dealing with, Bundy had moved on.

By the Fall of 1974 Bundy had moved on to the University of Utah as a law student. This, however, didn't slow him down with his other life. Young women around the Salt Lake City began disappearing. One of his victims was the daughter of a police chief. So badly beaten was she, her face was reduced to a bloody pulp when her body was discovered.

But as the trail for the elusive killer deepened, Bundy was off again, this time to Colorado in early 1975. It still is not substantiated, but it is believed that Bundy murdered at least five women while in Colorado before returning to Salt Lake.

As is usually the case, this elusive killer who led police in multiple states on a wild goose chase was done in by his own stupid error. On August 16th of 1975, police noticed a gold or tan Volkswagon Beetle driving erratically. When they pulled the driver over to see what was wrong, they found Ted at the wheel. When they searched his car, they were disturbed to find what seemed to be a "robbery kit". Also found in the car upon further inspection were human hairs matching one of the earlier victims.

Now in custody, Bundy was not speaking. But his car yielded police further evidence of his guilt. More hairs were found, and when a women who escaped the clutches of her attacker was brought in, she promptly identified Bundy as the man who attacked her.

By now authorities in three states were comparing notes on what they had. Numerous disapperances were coinciding with Bundy's travels. He was convicted in Utah of attempted kidnapping and was then extradited to Colorado to stand trial for murder. While incarcerated there, he was given permission to use the law library at the Aspen Courthouse to prepare for his case.

Bundy used this opportunity to try an escape, jumping from a two story window and running off into the dense, cold, Colorado woods. It took police a total of eight days to catch Bundy, but he wasn't done just yet. On December 30th, 1977, he sawed his way out of his cell, and this time he wasn't caught so quickly. He managed to make it all the way to Tallahassee, Florida.

Many believe that if Bundy could have now led a "normal" life, that is, fight the dark drive within himself and tried to blend in with his surroundings, he may have escaped detection altogether. However, the evil inside him took over, and before he knew it, he was back to his ways.

On January 15th, 1978, thousands of miles from where he escaped, Bundy went wild. He slipped into the Chi Omega sorority house on the campus of Florida State University where he raped and killed two women, crushing their skulls as they slept. He then savagely assaulted two others before making his escape. So brutal was his attack that on one of his victims, he severed a nipple, and left deep bite marks on her buttocks.

He then moved onto another sorority house where he fractured the skull of another young woman. About a month later, after escaping detection for these crimes, Bundy followed up with the abduction and rape of a 12 year old girl.

By now, authorities knew what was up. It wasn't hard to figure out that Bundy had somehow managed to make his way south, and it was soon after that police caught Budy in a stolen car.

Bundy was convicted on two counts of murder on July 23rd, 1979, and was sentenced to the electric chair. He was able to stall his execution, using the smooth, intelligent charm he showed many years before, for ten years before exhausting all his resources. He even tried to stall his own death by "confessing" to 28 murders. But this didn't help, and on January 24th, 1989, Bundy was executed for his crimes.

It was quite the media event when Bundy was put to death, and it was just proof of how powerful a legend was built around the man who many, to this day, cannot explain away with psychological babble, or sociological rhetoric.

Bundy was a seemingly brilliant student, a charming, attractive young man, and someone many deemed a bright political prospect for the future. However, it was all a veil.





"The Vampire of Sacramento"


In the two years 1978-79, Richard Chase killed six people in what had to be one of the stranger cases of serial murder recorded.

In 1975-76, Chase was already slipping further and further into insanity. He was experimenting with drugs, and was neglecting his personal hygiene. He was also obsessed with his own "inner workings", listening to his heart for hours on end, sure that he was dying. At one point he was sure that someone had stolen his pulmonary artery, and that every once in a while his heart stopped beating.

By this time he was already convinced that he needed to drink blood, since his own blood was "drying up". Naturally, he started with animals like rabbits, squirrels, which he killed, then drank from. He was once found by his father, suffering a form of toxic shock from drinking rabbit blood, attracting the attention of some doctors who decided that he be treated.

While in the psychiatric ward for treatment, he once managed to kill two small birds, draining them of their blood. He was found on the hospital grounds walking around with blood smeared all over his face, leading to him being nicknamed "Dracula" by hospital nurses and patients alike.

In June of 1977, Chase was released, and moved into his own apartment on Watt Avenue in Sacramento, living off Social Security since he was deemed unfit to work. This was the perfect situation for Chase to "cure" himself. Over the course of the next year, dogs and cats (among other animals) were disappearing from the neighborhood. By this time Chase was also talking of curious "plots" against him, by people such as Nazis, and UFO's.

In August of 1977, Chase embarked on what was his final animal feast before he decided that he needed HUMAN blood to get better. On August 3, police found Chase in the Walker River Reservation in Nevada, naked, and covered in blood, along with a bucket filled with the same. He was immediately arrested, but soon released when it was discovered that the blood was in fact Cattle blood.

What they didn't realize was that he was already on his way to bigger and better things. By December of that year, Richard Chase had already shot and killed his first human victim, Ambrose Griffin. A month later, he killed his second victim, Teresa Wallin.

Pretty much on cruise control by now, Chase entered the home of Evelyn Miroth on the 27th of January, which was about two miles of his apartment. Inside was Miroth, as well as her six year old son, Jason, her 22 month old nephew, David Ferreira, and her friend Daniel Meredith.

By the time Chase was done, he killed them all, taking his time with the bodies afterwards, bathing in their blood. When he was ready to leave, he decided to take along the body of the 22 month old toddler.

While leaving the house, he was seen by a few eyewitnesses who later told police that there was an "odd-looking young man", who was "obviously disturbed". Once a sketch was developed, a former friend of his, who was also concerned over his condition in the last few years, identified Chase to the police.

On the 28th, just a month after killing his first victim, Police converged on his apartment. Although Chase never answered the door when they knocked, police stood hiding, positive that he was inside. As it was, Chase was indeed inside, and decided to come out when he thought the coast was clear. He was immediately arrested, and what police discovered inside the apartment was more than any of them ever expected.

Upon entering the apartment, the cops were immediately hit with a strong stench. What they saw was even worse. Everything, the walls, floors, windows, even the bathtub and bed, were stained with blood. Everything in the aprtment was covered in the dark, immistakable shade of old blood. Also on the walls were charts which showed the detailed cutaways of the human body. Also found were numerous leashes and collars, which belonged to the many pets Chase brought home over the years.

One of the more interesting things found in his apartment was a calender which had the word "Today" marked on the 23rd and 27th of January. It was also discovered that the word was also marked on 44 other days on the calender, proving to police that Chase was far from done.

The most well-known objects found in his home were the blenders, as well as a ketchup bottle, on his kitchen counter. When examined, police were stunned to find human blood in the ketchup bottle, and encrusted human tissue in the blenders.

On May 8th, 1979, Chase was found guilty of all six murders, and was sentenced to death by lethal injection in San Quentin. This is actually incredible when one considers his past! It's amazing that he was not deemed insane, and put into an asylum.

However, Chase beat them all to the punch. While he awaited excecution, he was prescribed a 150-milligram dose of a drug called Sinequan to battle his depression (How ridiculous is this!!!). At some point Chase began to hoard the pills, and on the 26th of December, just short of a year after his first murder, he killed himself by ingesting all of them.

Although he basically was a spree-killer, committing his murders over the course of a month, Richard Chase has always been considered one of the more interesting killers of the modern age.


Book(s): "The Vampire Killer","The Dracula Killers", Time-Life "Compulsion to Kill".





Where to begin with perhaps the most sadistic and interesting serial killer in American history?

In the early 1970's, the Houston area suddenly had a large number of young boys turn up missing. Strangly enough, year after year, the local authorities didn't even find this alarming enough to search for any connection or clues. A lot of this had to do with the fact that all the boys came from a lower-class area of Houston called the "Heights".

Take into account that this was also in the early 70's, in an age of "free-love" and "dropping-out". So it wasn't crazy for these boys to have taken off for what they thought was a better place.

Still, we aren't talking about 5 or 6 boys. All told, 27 young area teens ended up raped and murdered at the hands of a local, well respected candy-factory owner and ex-military man named Dean Corll.

Since birth, Dean Corll was a momma's boy, something that was fine with Mrs. Corll. She doted on her son, something that would continue right until the very end.

After a stint in the U.S. Military in the late 60's, Corll came home to Houston and took over operations at his mother's candy factory. Nothing large by any means, it was however a successful business that Mrs. Corll started by making her own peanut brittle, which eventually led to her own factory.

By this time, Corll had already taken to hanging out with area teens, specifically boys. He would often have parties where he would give out candy, whiule also "allowing" some beer and glue to show up as well. Soon area teens all knew that Corll's house was the place to be for some good glue-sniffin' and beer drinking.

The parents never suspected anything was wrong, as Corll was looked upon as a well-mannered young man who was still close to his mother, as well as being very soft-spoken.

By 1971, local kids were wasting their days away in the Corll home drunk or high on modeling glue. This was the perfect setting for Corll to rape and then murder. He recruited two teens, Wayne Henley and David Owen Brooks, to get victims for him at $200 apiece. A hefty amount of money even now for a young poor kid, they were happy to bring over school friends to the parties Corll was throwing every other week or so.

The victims would immediately be given alcohol or glue, with Corll just waiting for the child to be lost in a haze. When this was reached, Corll would then take the boy into his bedroon, away from the others, and take out his "torture rack", a piece of plywood that had hand-cuffs at each corner to cuff the victim in place, rendering him helpless.

There was hardly ever any struggle since the kid was already helpless because of the drugs or drink. Once cuffed to the board, Corll then "went to work."

A sadistic fuck if there ever was one, Corll would brutally rape the child and then play games with their bodies before killing them, sometimes days later. He was said to have stuck glass rods up the penis' of somevictims, while shoving a large bullet-like object up the rectum of others. He would enjoy pulling the pubic hairs one by one from their pubic areas, ending with Corll strangling and then burying the child in a shed he rented at a nearby boatshed.

After three years of his methodical killing, it seemed as if Corll was truly unstoppable. With his own home for privacy, a rented shed to bury the bodies, and two teens that brought victims right into his living room, he was now cruising.

It wasn't until August of 1973 that it all fell apart, and fast, for Corll.

That day, Wayne Henley brought over his girlfriend along with yet another boy for Corll to have his way with. After a few hours of glue-sniffing and drinking, Henley awoke to find himself fastened to the torture board. Corll was naked and screaming at him that he would now suffer the consequences of bringing his girlfriend to the party.

Corll was telling Henley that he was now going to shoot him, whereas Henley pleaded with him that if he would spare him, he would rape and murder his girlfriend while Corll would do the same to the boy that came along.

Corll loved the idea, and was quick to release Henley. While they were getting the other two so they could put them on the "rack", Henley grabbed Corll's gun and emptied the it into Corll's chest, killing him instantly.

As the two near-victims ran out of the house, Henley was sound enough to call the police, telling them he had just killed a man, and that he would be waiting in front of the house for their arrival.

It was only then that the whole story unfolded. Police were stunned to hear from Henley himself how Corll managed to kill 27 (some books say 32) teenage boys over the last three years, burying them in his rented shed at the boatyard.

What police found when they went to the shed was a large, empty, scorching shed, with only a few bags of lime and some steel drums strewn about.

Noticing freshly dug soil, they began to dig, and surprising no one, the bodies began to surface. All told, police recovered 25 bodies, some rotted to nothing more than skeletal remains, while others were wrapped in plastic and still decomposing in the sweltering metal sheet-made boatshed.

Later on, at the trial of both Henley and Brooks, both were found guilty of murder, and were both sentenced to life.

The case spurred a national outcry as to why no one seemed to care, or notice that such a large number of young men could disappear with no one growing suspicious. Most of the boys knew each other, and all grew up in the same area.

This is something we see again at the end of the decade in Atlanta, Georgia and the Wayne Williams trial.





"The Metal Fang"

During the heat of the Cold War in 1980, while the U.S. was boycotting the Olympic Games in Moscow, the Soviet region of Kazakhstan experienced a rash of murders that terrorized it's inhabitants.

A man named Nikolai Dzhumangaliev, who had already spent a year in jail for manslaughter in the late 1970's, began working as a laborer at a nearby site in Alma-Ata.

He was considered by all who knew him as a well-spoken, clean-shaven gentleman. He was always neatly dressed, but had one physical flaw that everyone who knew him would look past. He possessed white metal teeth, losing his natural teeth years before.

Though not exactly a "loner", he would generally keep to himself, walking around town trying to meet different women wherever he went.

His favorite spot in town was near a river bank, where he would meet a young lady and lure her into the dark end of the park nearby. There, he would then rape the woman, finishing off by hacking the body up with a knife and axe he carried at all times.

However, he wasn't done yet. He would then proceed to cook up parts of his victims and eat their flesh. The rest he would bag up in a sack and take home with him.

Later on, when he was discovered, police realized that Nikolai was also often inclined to throw little get-togethers with friends where he would cook up large amounts of meat to be shared with his guests. These "get-togethers" were always thrown right after one of his murders. He was feeding his unwitting guests parts of his recent kill.

What eventually led police to Nikolai were two town drunks who were invited back to his house for some "snacks". When entering the home, the drunks discovered a woman's head along with intestines, in the kitchen, ready for cooking.

He was charged with seven murders in all. However, the court decided that he was not responsible for his actions and had him committed to a mental institution in Tashkent.

Interestingly enough, when being transported to another institution in 1989, Nikolai escaped from authorities. So not to alarm the public, no announcement was ever made of this, and for two long years the local law enforcement searched and hoped against hope that killings would not start up somewhere else in the Soviet Union.

He was captured in August of 1991 in Fergana, Uzbekistan, after being reported by a local woman who claimed that a young man was propositioning her earlier in the day.

He remains in a mental institution to this day.

Not much available on this guy:

Check out a little clip of him in "The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers", although there's nothing more than what appears here.


One of the many serial killers who struggled with the fact that he was homosexual, Larry Eyler was the youngest of four children brought up in Indiana, often beaten by step-fathers and sent to live by his mother with a bunch of other families.

Eyler, a house painter and liquor store clerk, stalked the streets of midwestern cities and towns of Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, and Wisconsin, even though he wasn't a "transient" by any stretch.

He had three areas where he worked and played, as well as killed. He could be found in Greencastle, Indiana, where he worked in a liquor store, a friend's place in Terre Haute, Indiana, and Chicago, Illinois, where he shared his space with not only his lover, but the lover's wife and kids.

Living this way gave him a wide area to find victims to fullfill his violent sexual needs. And when he would be satiated, he would take out his anti-gay sentiments on his victim, usually ending up with the victim dead of stab wounds while bound.

In March of 1982 it all began, with Jay Reynolds found stabbed to death outside Lexington Kentucky.

In October of the same year, police found the body of 14 year old Delvoyd Baker outside Indianapolis. Two weeks later, another body, that of 19 year old Steven Crockett was found, stabbed 22 times, in Lowell, Indiana.

Police didn't make any connection yet, when in November, they found the body of Robert Foley in a field outside Joliet, Ill.

Now they were seeing a pattern of assaults on young men, with stabbing and strangulation present in every case.

On Christmas of 1982, Eyler murdered 25 year old John Johnson outside Belshaw, Indiana. Incredibly, three days later he killed two more, 21 year old John Roach in Belleville, and 20 year old Steven Agan in Newport Indiana.

Eyler was now on cruise control. He settled into the fact that he could now have his homosexual flings, and seemingly "cover-up" his disguist by eliminating his lovers and dumping them off the highways around the midwest.

1983 was no different, as he began killing around Illinois. In July of 1983, Eyler was now responsible for 12 murders, and he was now increasingly mutilating his victims after death. The sex and murder was no longer enough.

On August 31st, Robert Calise was murdered near Lake Forest, Ill. He was bound with clothesline and tape, and stabbed 17 times.

A month later, a police officer in Indiana spotted a pick-up truck off the side of Interstate 65, with two men nearby walking towards a group of trees. It appeared that one of the men was tied up. When the officer approached them, the bound young man told him that Eyler made homosexual propositions, including asking permission to tie him up.

When the officer searched the truck, he found surgical tape, clothesline, and a hunting knife stained with blood.

Eyler was immediately taken in, where forensic experts matched the blood on the knife with that of Calise. Experts were also able to match tire tracks left at the Calise sight with that of Eyler's truck.

You would think that this was enough to put Eyler behind bars, but authorities let him go, while they continued their investigation.

And on October 4th, 1983, 14 year old Derrick Hansen was found dismembered near Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Almost two weeks later, a "John Doe" was found near Effingham, Ill., with yet two other victims, this time Richard Wayne, and an unidentified male, found dead outside Indianapolis.

By this time, Eyler was under intense constant surveillance, albeit not a very good job of it to say the least.

Eyler went as far as filing a civil suit with authorities for what he claimed was harrassment against the Lake County Sheriff's Office.

What he got was arrested for the Calise murder, seemingly putting an end to a serial killers reign on the Interstates of Mid-America.

However, once again, officials blew it, as on Feb. 5th, 1984, at a pretrial hearing, it was determined that all evidence recovered from Eyler's truck was not allowed into court.

Eyler was free once again. And embarrassed law officials rushed to regain control of the case that was in the palm of their hands just a few days before.

On May 7th, 1984, 22 year old David Block was found murdered near Zion, Ill. The M.O. was the same as the other slaying attributed to Eyler.

Then Eyler did something that even the local authorities could not botch.

In August, the janitor where Eyler lived was led to garbage bags neatly placed on the sidewalk for removal by his excited dog.

When the janitor opened them, he found the dismembered remains of a local 15 year old hustler named Danny Bridges.

Finally, Eyler slipped enough for the authorities to lock him up for good. Convicted of the Bridges murder, Eyler was sentenced to die in July of 1986.

He's till on death row in Illinois to this day.






"The Man with the Camera"

Harvey Glattman was an amazing case in Serial Killer history. This was a man that was active in an era when it seemed that the serial killer was on the downshot. This was a man that left us with some of the most compelling, eternal pictures ever seen in the true crime genre.

Glattman grew up in New York City, with his over-protective parents, and was found very early on to have problems beyond that of a growing boy. He was already showing signs of "odd behavior" by the age of three, according to his mother, as he kept to himself and rarely socialized with others his age.

All throughout his childhood things never changed. He never hung out with other children. It was then that he developed a taste for the "True Detective" magazines, and other sketchy "rags" of the times. However, Harvey was a great student, easily maintaining an "A" average, and keeping this false sense of promise in his parent's eyes.

After a move out west to Denver, Co., where his father was a cab driver, he kept his grades up, while he fine tuned "bondage games" with himself. He liked to play with ropes to tie up his legs, or put a length around his neck while masterbating. By the age of 12, normal masterbation was a thing of the past. It did nothing for him. He kept fantasizing about tying up women and having his way with them. This was the only way, or so it seemed, that he would be able to "have a woman".

Day after day he became obsessed with this scenario. At the same time he would continue to play with ropes more and more, nearly choking himself on many occasions while bringing himself to orgasm.

Fast forward to 1951, Harvey now 24 years-old, and he is just released from prison for petty robbery (Harvey took to this for some added excitement-his fantasies not cutting it any longer), he moves out to Los Angeles with his mother's help and sets up a television repair shop. Figuring he was always good with mechanical things, Mother Glattman hoped this would help Harvey straighten out and settle down with "a plan" for his life.

At about the same time, Harvey becomes interested in the world photography. He begins to take photos around town as a hobby, joining various photographer's clubs and meeting for "shoots". It was then that he found out that for the right price, you could "rent" a model for the purpose of taking some pictures. Rumour had it that if you asked nice enough, they would even take their clothes off for some "blue" photo's as well.

For Harvey, this was perfect. It was the final piece which would lead to straight into his fantasy world.

Knowing that these girls would never suspect him of doing anything "rough" (As you saw from the photo above, Harvey was a small, non-threatening man who couldn't seem to harm a fly), Harvey developed a scheme to get a woman to "model" for him, opening up a chance for him to ask if she would pose for a few bondage shots, the kind that appeared on the cover of "True Detective" magazine.

These bondage shots were always the same. They would show a high-heeled, garter-clad woman, in some sort of undress, bound both at the hands and feet, with a gag in her mouth, with some screaming headline like,"Held as sex-slave in den of horrors!" above her head.

This was the perfect scam, and Harvey knew it. He took it one step further by now stating that he was indeed a photographer for such a magazine, and he would offer good money for only two hours worth of work.

On August 1st, 1957, Harvey hired his first model, 19 year-old Judy Dull. Using the name Johnny Glynn, he told her he was a professional photographer, and needed some bondage shots for a local detective magazine.

Once inside Glattman's place, he was nearly delerious at how easy this was going to be. He was astonished at how quickly she got into the role of captive, letting herself be tied up and gagged. Once she was secured, he began to fondle and caress her. Now realizing what was going on, she tried to struggle, but was helpless. Harvey took advantage of this and raped her repeatedly. For the first time he felt in control, powerful, what he thought every man felt like.

When he was satisfied, he was prepared to let the girl go, but began to worry about her going to the police. Almost immediatley, he realized he had to kill her, since he WAS NOT going to go to prison. This was something he was never going back to. He knew he wouldn't survive any extended trip to jail.

While still bound, Harvey put her in the back seat of his car and began to drive. He waited until nightfall so no one would see him getting in the car with the girl. He decided to drive out to the desert, where he knew he could find a secluded spot to kill and bury his victim.

Upon finding a good spot, he convinced the girl that he just wanted to take some external shots of her bound and gagged, then he would let her go out in the desert. As any victim hoping for freedom tends to do, she believed him, and allowed herself to be photographed a little longer out under the desert stars.

When Glattman couldn't contain himself any longer, he raped her again, until he couldn't put off her death another second. Calmly, he choked her to death and buried her, where her remains wouldn't be found for another five months.

By this time, Glattman had already grown to live with this secret, as was ready for his second victim. And on March 9th, 1958, he found her in Shirley Bridgeford, a 24 year-old divorcee.

Under the same ruse, although using the name "George Williams" this time, he managed to take a few phtoto's before raping her. As with the first victim, he got her in the car and took her out to the desert. This was now a part of the routine, instead of a last minute decision.

Once there, he raped her again, after a few more photos, and then choked her to death, burying her like Judy Dull.

A few months later, he found Ruth Mercado, a part-time model looking to make a little extra money. Again, Glattman followed his plans to the fullest, and without a hitch. Before he knew it, he was back out in the desert, sexually well-spent and with a great roll of shots taken, choking and killing what was to be his third victim. Unlike the previous two, Ruth tried to talk to Harvey, hoping to make him think that she liked him, but he realized that even if this was true, she had to die. He just could not run the risk of jail.

By now the area police realized that there were three missing women on their hands, all sharing the same background. And it was Glattman's fourth victim that led them right to him.

In October, 1958, now using the name "Frank Johnson", Harvey called a local modeling agency, asking for a model to do detective photography. They sent over amateur model Lorraine Vigil.

Upon arrival, Glattman decided to skip his house and go directly to the desert, explaining to Vigil that he needed outdoor shots. On the way out to the desert, Glattman pulled out a gun, never expecting the girl to fight back. As a matter of fact, Glattman became so confident in his routine, that he never in his wildest dreams thought that anything would go wrong. However, Vigil instinctively grabbed for the gun, and a struggle ensued, with the gun accidentally going off and shooting her in the thigh. Coming to a halt on the side of the road, they continued to struggle until she got control of the gun. In the end it was ironic that he would be overpowered by a woman.

Once in control, she kept him at bay until a passing patrol car stopped to help. The beginning of the end was at hand. Once in police apprehension, he tried to tell the officers that it was the first time he ever tried such a thing. However, with the three others still missing, and with Glattman obviously hiding something, the police went over to his house to see what, if anything, they could find. Inside the run-down home, police found piles of photos of women being bound and gagged, but it wasn't he usual stuff they saw in magazines. These models really looked terrified, and some of them actually looked dead.

The three missing victims were identified in some of the photos, trussed up and either alive with fear, or dead. Glattman was done. He eventually confessed to everything, helping police recover the three skeletal remains baked in the desert sun.

Unlike this day in age, where appeals drag out the final sentence, Glattman was sentenced to death on November 1958, and was executed at San Quentin in the gas chamber a year later, partly due to the fact that Harvey himslef refused to appeal, stating, "It's better this way. Iknew this was the way it would be."

Read: "Rope" by Michael Newton.